So here's the thing. I'm a graduate student in Ottawa, and eating out is not an option (not that there are any good food around here anyways). So what do I need to do to reach gastro-satiation without eating garbage like the glorious instant ramen? My solution: Microwave, baby!
I guess it's proper to introduce the humble microwave. What is microwave?
MAGICAL ELECTRIC FOOD BOX
That's pretty much it.
Other than my daily arugula-peanut butter and honey sandwiches, the rest of my food is whole. Corn, potato, eggs, peaches, nectarines, bananas. Corn? Potato? Eggs? How do I eat those things raw? With a microwave, of course. The most common cooking tool for a student.
For corn, the whole thing, husk and all is thrown into the microwave oven and zapped for 4-5 minutes or until it is delicious.
For potato, stab a few holes and press the potato button on the console.
For eggs, I use a very Asian recipe to make some luscious egg heaven.
Microwave Steamed Egg
obligatory placeholder google image until I get my own (never)
Korea: gyeran jjim
Thai: kai toon
China: ji dan geng
etc., etc., etc.
2 part egg (aka 2 eggs)
2 part water
Some soy sauce
Some sesame oil (but less than soy sauce)
1. Eggs, water, soy sauce, sesame oil all in a container (preferably a Pyrex measuring cup)
2. Stir viciously
3. Cover in cellophane wrap
4. Microwave 2 minutes
5. Insecurely check to see if it's done yet (it's not)
6. Microwave 1 minute
7. Let set for 1 minute (because it's mad hot)
8. Uncover, grab a spoon and eat
you will never get my personal pic of a potate. well, maybe eventually (never)
X number of taters, tatoes, or potates
1. Wash your dirty potates
2. Poke holes in your clean tatoes
3. Place your poked taters in a microwave
4. Zap for potato amount of time (press the potates button)
5. Wait 1 minute because you will die from the heat
6. Cut in half, stick a whole stick (or a dab if you want to live) in there
7. Grab a chopstick and eat
i am not going to take a photo of a corn (never)
It's just corn
Corn with husk
1. Put corn in microwave
2. Zap for 4 minutes, turn halfway because your corn is too big to turn
3. Unhusk, lather with butter and eat
no, don't ask the answer is (never)
Technically, it's microwave corn that turned into popcorn
Fist of Popcorn corn kernels (buy the large bag, because you are cheap)
1. Pour corn into Pyrex measuring cup
2. Drop some butter
3. Cover with paper napkin and rubber band
4. Zap for 2.5 minutes (that's 2 minute and 30 seconds)
5. Wait 1 minute because hot hot hot
6. Uncover and eat, you hungry fiend
And now, you too can be healthy like me. Now go out and zap!